As a health professional, you are an important link in the chain of information and resources that your patients and clients need to get, and stay, healthy. Browse the resources below to help educate yourself on the latest research related to fiber.
- Fiber Benefits: Heart Health
- Addressing the Fiber Gap Can Improve Gut Microbiome Diversity
- Recommended Daily Intake
- Closing the Dietary Fiber Gap: Aligning Dietary Fiber Policy, Research and Communication
- Dietary Fiber Ingredients: Expanding Options for Meeting Dietary Fiber Recommendations
Downloadable Educational Brochures
- Lupton: Codex final definition of dietary fibre: issues of implementation
- Howlett: The definition of dietary fiber – discussions at the Ninth Vahouny Fiber Symposium: building scientific agreement
- Howlett: Glycemic Response and Health
- McCleary: An integrated procedure for the measurement of total dietary fibre (including resistant starch), non-digestible oligosaccharides and available carbohydrates
- ILSI Europe Glycemic Monograph
Carbohydrates typically provide the major energy contribution to our diet. The consumption of carbohydrates leads to rises in blood sugar or blood glucose and the nature of this rise in blood sugar, known as the glycemic response, has important implications for all of us. Reducing the size and duration of rises in blood glucose after meals is particularly important for people with diabetes and may also be of benefit to the general population. The European Branch of the International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI Europe) has studied various aspects of the science behind glycemic response and health, seeking to contribute a balanced perspective on the subject. ILSI Europe has published an overview of the current status of our knowledge on ‘Food, Glycaemic Response and Health.’
Science and Health Organizations
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Heart Association
- Diet-Related Fibers & Human Health Outcomes Database– Provides access to peer-reviewed science of dietary fiber intake in humans.
Also, be sure to check out our Question and Answer section.